Shown mid-way through demolition in 1972, Eynsham's old water tower at the corner of Mill Street and Spareacre Lane consisted of a plain brick structure topped by a steel tank, the whole about 50 feet high to produce a gravity feed. It was described in 1903 as “about the ugliest structure in the county.”
Pamela Richards has supplied a detailed account of the Eynsham drainage and water schemes in the Eynsham Record 11 (1994) pages 27-34.
Eynsham Cross and Red Lion in 1878: image © Percy Roberts, reprinted as cover image for the Eynsham Record, volume 1, in 1984.
“The principle inn, the Red Lion stands in front of the church, with a modern picture-sign of a lion facing you on one side, and on the other presenting his posteriors to the north porch in a curious, not to say rude manner.”
Extract from 'the Oxford, Gloucester and Milford Haven Road (the ready way to South Wales)' by Charles G Harper, 1905, uncovered by Simon Banks, who notes “Alas, the sign is no more”.
Acre End Street, to the west, c.1904. Left side: Swan Hotel, Railway Inn, Murray House. Right side: Howe's store and post office, nos. 52, 54, 56 and Beauchamp's shop.
Howe's premises feature in the Eynsham Directory as Oxford Mac Solutions.
The Market House (Bartholomew Room). Note especially the open arches and the village stocks.
Image JC Buckler 1826, © Bodleian Library
Looking east along Bitterell towards Wytham Hill, in the mid-1970s, before development: image © Joan Weedon. Note the old barns to the right, later converted to a residential property.
Read more about Cotswold barns >>
The New Inn at Mill Street c.1884 - now a private house. From Oxfordshire County Council Photographic Archive.
“In a deed of 1879 the whole property is described as 'The dwellinghouse with shops cellars yards stable coachhouse and other outbuildings situate on the North side of and fronting Mill Street which premises were late in the occupation of Richard Castell Toner deceased and are bounded on the West by the Turnpike Road from Oxford to Witney and on the North by a dwelling house at the same premises and now known as the New Inn.'
“Mr Charles Yateman had the licence of this inn from 1872 until1883 when it was transferred to Mr E Harris. At the end of the [19th] century and the beginning of [the 20th] one Bob Buckingham was landlord and was remembered by Jim Evans. In 1917 a report in the Oxford Times dated 9 June tells us that a school dinner kitchen was opened in Eynsham at The New Inn by the War Savings Committee, and that on the first day 20 children were given mashed potatoes, stewed peas and gravy, price 2d. This apparently made an estimated saving of 1 loaf of bread per child per week! It was not reported if they got anything to drink.”
Eynsham Toll gate with bus looking west.
Image © Packer 1910- from Oxfordshire County Council Photographic Archive.
The badly weathered 14th or 15th century cross in the village square supported with iron bars. Beyond is the Red Lion Hotel with a wagon outside.
Image © Henry Taunt 1885 fom Oxfordshire County Council Photographic Archive.
Acre End Street, with cottages either side and the Railway Inn (now converted to flats) and Swan Hotel beyond. Image © Henry Taunt 1906, From Oxfordshire County Council Photographic Archive.
“The Railway Inn was still the meeting place for the Eynsham Young Men's Social Club in 1903. On a very hot day in the summer of 1976 a large load of hay was passing along Acre End Street. Just as it was about to turn into Station Road the hay burst into flames - a form of spontaneous combustion.”
Landscape looking south through trees and across the fields towards Eynsham, with the tower of St Leonard's church in the far distance.
Image © Henry Taunt 1913 from Oxfordshire County Council Photographic Archive.
The Square and 'Llandaff'. The occasion was probably a celebration of Edward VII's coronation, in August 1902.
The 'Red Lion' and St Leonard's in 1910. Note the cottage in the middle, which had disappeared by 1987.
From Oxfordshire County Council Photographic Archive.
Station Road from the south; the level crossing, and the station master's house (left). Photograph no later than July 1912, the postmarked date on this postcard.
Lots more about Eynsham's place on the Fairford Branch Line.
Image © T Wright.
Eynsham railway station looking west circa 1956. The buildings (background to foreground) are the goods shed in Cotswold stone (ca. 1861); the 19-lever signal box (ca. 1892); the original timber-built station building (ca. 1861, extended 1878 / 9); and a later corrugated iron shed. The livery was predominantly green.
The wooden platform on the left, with its shelter, were added when the wartime passing loop was constructed in 1944.
Source: Jenkins, S.C. The Fairford Branch. Locomotion Papers no.86. Oakwood Press, 1985. Photo © Lens of Sutton.
The Holt, Mill Street, in the course of construction c.1870. The builder was Wilkinson of Oxford.
The posed picture is full of interesting detail. Note, for example, the hod carrier facing outwards on his ladder; the little girl in the window opening nearby; the woman in the apron (top right); and the 'show-off' above the pulley at the top (looking like a unicyclist!)
Mill Street, looking south, in the early 1960s. The sign on the corner of John Lopes Road advertises 'Bradstone', makers of a synthetic building stone used for the shops soon to replace the cottages on the corner (but set back from the main road), and many new houses built in the village during the 1960s.
The barn to the left became a branch of Barclays Bank which closed in 1993 / 4 and re-opened as Eynsham Emporium late in 2005.