No.47 The Newlands Public House.
No.37 Newland House - now Beech Court Nursing Home.
Information below from the VCH. There are more images and an extended review in our feature on Eynsham pubs.
No.31 The White Hart Public House and attached garage (part of no.33 - now a separate dwelling).
Hall house, now public house and garage. C14; remodelled in early C17, with mid C18 and C20 alterations. Cruck-framed. Coursed limestone rubble, roughcast front of garage on right; gabled stone slate roof, with corrugated iron to rear right; rear lateral stack and left end stack of stone finished in brick; C19 brick front lateral stack. Medieval open hall with solar to left and service to right: remodelled as 4-unit plan in C17. One storey and attic; 4-window range. C19 bracketed hood over 6-panelled door. Concrete lintels over C20 casements: concrete lintel over medieval service doorway to right, which has a plain chamfer with broach stop to one stone ashlar door jamb and late C20 board door. Timber lintel over C20 garage doors in bay to right. Early C20 gabled half-dormers. Mid C18 wing to rear of one storey and attic; 2-window range of limestone rubble with gabled stone slate roof.
Interior: originally a 4-bay hall-house with a raised-cruck roof, the 2 central trusses being heavily smoke-blackened. The central truss has an arch-braced collar with windbraces: the other trusses were identical, but only the right-hand truss retains a collar and arch braces. Some windbraces survive; through-purlins replaced and turned around in C17; reset smoke-blackened rafters in central bays; morticed beam of original screens partition survives to right of service doorway, which has arched chamfered lintel above. Floor and stacks inserted in early C17, probably at solar end (to left) first. Chamfered beam with rolled and run-out stop to left; chamfered beam, and chamfered bressummer over open fireplace with ingle-nook seats to centre. Winder stairs to rear, and C17 trap door to attic.
History: probably the "aula" mentioned in the Eynsham Abbey cartulary of 1366. Divided into 2 dwellings in 1750's and was licensed as the "Haunch of Venison" from 1785. The manorial courts met here in the C19. The garage bay and doorway to its left are now part of No 33.
No. 1 [former Oxford County Saddlery]
The Gables and attached outbuildings and barn.
No.34 Gables Cottage, [former] Cygnet Restaurant, Craft Workshops and Malthouse. After many changes the restaurant is now Ready Steady Spice.
House and malthouse, now house, restaurant and craft workshops. C.1820 by James Pimm for James Swan. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings; low chamfered roof of tar and paper, felted over; brick ridge stack. L-plan with rear right wing. No. 34 to right of 2-storey, 5-window range. Keyed chamfered stone arch over plank door to left, and timber lintel over C20 door right of centre. chamfered stone arches over 2-light windows with glazing bars. Malthouse to front left, of 2-storey, 5-window range, has similar windows to side and gable end with plank door and blocked hoist opening. Rear has some C20 windows and door.
INTERIOR: 6-bay malthouse has cast-iron columns supporting first floor, which has low-pitched queen-post roof. The tar and paper roof was made at Eynsham Mill, which was owned by the same Swan family (of the Gables), and was also used by JC Loudon at Great Tew.
No.26 Cherwell Lodge.
Nos 22 and 24.
No.18 Pimms Cottage and 20.
Nos 12 and 14.
Nos 4 and 6.
No.2 The Haven.
House. Early C16; late C17 alterations, possibly entailing raising of eaves; mid C19 porch and alterations. Limestone, coursed rubble with squared stone bands. Gabled stone slate roof; stone end stacks, left one rebuilt in C20. 3-unit through-passage plan. 2 storeys and attic; 4-window range. Mid C19 porch and plank door with iron fittings in second bay from left. Blocked pointed-arched doorway and early C16 2-light hollow-chamfered round-headed stone windows to right; similar 4-light early C17 ovolo-moulded window to left. First floor has, from left, two 2-light hollow-chamfered stone-mullioned windows, late C17 stair-turret projects from left gable wall; has two C16 hollow-chamfered lights and one round-headed light.
Rear: similar early C16 two-light and one 4-light round-headed windows; chamfered arched doorway to through-passage; similar C16 square-headed window and, on first floor, late C17 chamfered wood-mullioned windows. C18 two-window range to right of front: of similar materials, refronted mid C19.
INTERIOR: stop-chamfered and chamfered beams throughout. Late C17 ovolo-moulded stone fireplace to left; C19 staircase; first floor has chamfered stone lintel over fireplace to right and arched stone fireplace to left. 6-bay collar-truss roof with tabled through-purlins. It is possible that the house is completely late C17, and that the early C16 features have been reset.
Nos 1 and 3 Lord's Row.
No.22 Redfern Cottage.
Nos 18 and 20.
No.2 Lord's Farmhouse and attached barn, wall and stable.
House. Late C18, extended 1907 by Clough Williams Ellis. Squared and coursed limestone with ashlar quoins and dressings; gabled and half-hipped Welsh slate roof; brick left end and rear lateral stacks. L-plan with rear right wing. Late Georgian style, 3 storeys; 3-window range. Stone Tuscan porch: 6-panelled door with overlight. Keyed flat stone arches over 8-pane sashes, 6-pane sashes to centre and early C20 tripartite sash to left of porch. Rear service wing of similar materials has 3-light leaded casements. C20 conservatory to right. Extension to left by Clough Williams Ellis, 1907, in Wrenaissance style. 2-storey, 2-window range front and left side have leaded cross windows, round-arched doorway and moulded cornice; hipped roof surmounted by ogee-domed ball cupola.
INTERIOR: late C18 house has dog-leg staircase with stick balusters, panelled doors, boxed beams, and reeded stone fireplace on first floor; chamfered beams in service wing. 1907 range has reset stained-glass panels and fine doorway with cherub's head set over shouldered architrave in ground-floor room.
No.1 Maltshovel House and attached outbuilding.
K6 Telephone kiosk by the Bartholomew Room.
Designed 1935 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. Made by various contractors. Cast iron. Square kiosk with domed roof. Unperforated crowns to top panels and margin glazing to windows and door.
Bartholomew Room - view feature >>
Base of Market Cross approx 2m S of Bartholomew Room. Image © Sue Chapman
Cornerstones [adj Red Lion].
The Red Lion Hotel.
House approx. 5m W of St Leonard's Church.
Nos.1 Trimdon and 2.
School. Built 1877. Squared and coursed limestone rubble, with ashlar quoins and dressings; gabled C20 tile roof; moulded stone ashlar stacks. H-plan school with former school master's house to right. Jacobean style. School house of one-storey, 4-window range. Two gabled porches adjoining wings each have small arched lights set above segmental-arched doorway. Central range has 2-light ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned windows and panelled frieze. Gable ends of side wings have similar 4-light transomed windows and urn finials to stone coping; lateral stacks to front wall and ridge stacks. Mullioned windows to left side and rear. Two-storey school master's house, in similar style, has bow window to front. The school rooms were originally segregated between the sexes, the porch on left being inscribed “Boys” and to the right “Girls”.
This splendid country house was built 1904-8 with its own water-works, gas plant, electricity generating station and private telephone links to all parts of the estate.
The Hall was turned into a training and conference centre in 1981 and became part of North Leigh in 1985 during a parish boundary revision.