“The church was officially formed in 1812, though not on this site. The original chapel was a converted barn in Mill Street at the back of The White House. When that became too small the original idea was to demolish the barn and build a chapel on the land. However, that never happened and the land on the present site became available. It was bought by the church (quite literally - people gave money as loans or gifts) and work began on the current building in 1817.
“A plaque above the door shows the date of completion: 1818. The lamp is a replica of one that was there during the 1800's. It was placed there in 2004 in memory of Mr. Cyril Ashton - organist of the church during the mid 20th century. His sister is currently one of the life deacons of the church and our longest serving member.
“The step under the right hand door has been worn down by the number of people who have stood on it over the past 187 years. The stonework was repaired in 2001/2002 except for the stonework around the doors - that was done in 2004.
“Originally there was a gallery at the rear of the church over the main doors, the windows had stone mullions and there were pews. At the front was a large central pulpit, before which was the baptismal pool. Although the pews and pulpit were removed in the latter part of the 20th century, the pool remains and is still used.
“The mullions in the windows and the gallery were removed in 1884 when the building became derelict.
“The organ is a chamber organ built for use in a country home. It was electrified during the 20th century but there are those who remember having to pump the bellows.
DECLINE AND REVIVAL
“At first the church thrived but the rules were very strict and anyone found to have broken them had their membership rights taken away. This led to many disagreements and numbers dwindled. Then Methodism came to the village: more people left and went to the Methodist church (which is now St. Leonard's Church Hall).
“The revival around 1884/5 is covered in detail in the Eynsham Record 1996 (pages 9-12).”
From introductory leaflet kindly provided by Jean Andrews.
... fragrant with carnations, lavender and rosemary at this time of year.
the memorial garden came about when the Durbridge family donated the memorial bench (made by another church member Graham Lay of Oxford Memorial Benches). It seemed the ideal opportunity to sort out that piece of garden / cemetery.
used as a banner above the gate on special occasions
... seen here on one of its early outings in 2007. The gates are open for a regular sequence of community activities and events, including the weekly Traidcraft stall.
The driveway had just been reinstated when this image was taken ...
... providing a much more accessible approach for bikes and wheelchairs.
... giving some idea of the size of the project undertaken by local builder Richard Gibbons.
The original of this line drawing hangs in the church hall. It was drawn by a minister's wife in 1836.
For some time the church was one of a chain of Small Pilgrim Places, open to visitors of any faith and none.
Minister to 28 February 2013