Nos 2 (Abbeystones) and 2A.
2 Bee Cottage, 4 The Mill House, 6 The Cottage, 8 Vine Cottage
Barn approx 25m S of Abbey Farmhouse. We have a separate feature on Cotswold barns.
11A The Retreat, 13 / 15 and 17.
The Swan Inn. View directory listing >>
No. 25 Stone Acre and 27 The Laurels
No.29 Murray House - now known as Mulberry House.
No.31 The Grange, attached rear walls, The Wooden Spoon and nos 33 and 35 [formerly] The Country Gallery and outbuilding.
No.37 Blankstones Farmhouse and attached outhouse and wall.
The last 50 years are recalled by Michael Morley >>
Barn approx. 50m W of no.37 Blankstones Farmhouse: Image © Tim Jordan. Subject of a successful development application in November 2009 and subsequently a work in progress.
We have a separate feature on Cotswold barns >>
The Large Thatched Cottage and the Small Thatched Cottage - featured each year in the Primary School Parade.
No. 31 the Old Brew House, nos. 27, 29 and Evenlode DIY, “the best shop in the world”.
House. Circa early C18 with C19 additions at rear and Victorian alterations. Coursed limestone. Stone tile roof with stone-coped gable ends. Brick gable-end stacks.
PLAN: Main range with two principal rooms and central entrance. Circa C19 outshut and wing at rear.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. Symmetrical 2:1:2 window south front. First floor 12-pane sashes in moulded stone architraves and oculus at centre in plain stone frame with leaded panes. Ground floor two C19 stone canted bay windows with battlements and 4-pane sashes and central doorway with stone pilasters and entablature, panelled and glazed door with small overlight. On right of ground floor a small quatrefoil light in stone frame, like a fire window. Two C19 gabled dormers with shaped bargeboards and 4-pane sashes. Rear, north, lower gable-ended wing on left and 1-storey and attic outshut on right.
No.26 the Shrubbery
No.10 [adjoining the Red Lion Inn]
No.2 The Jolly Sportsman Public House and attached outbuildings.
House, now public house. Late C17: altered in early C18 and extended in mid C19. Coursed limestone rubble; gabled artificial stone slate roof, brick end stacks. 2-unit plan. 2 storeys and attic; symmetrical 3-window range remodelled as 2-window range in early C18. Mid C19 doorway with bracketed flat hood to right. Flat stone arch over leaded cross window and leaded light above mid C 19 four-light window and timber lintel over early C18 four-light leaded and transomed window; C20 roof dormer. C17 extension to right, extensively remodelled mid C19, of limestone rubble with stone slate roof, attached to mid C19 stable range, with Welsh slate roof, which extends along Acre End Street.
INTERIOR: chamfered beam to left, and stop-chamfered beams and joists in remodelled room to right.
Baptist Church - view feature >>
No.38 Redthorn House.
No.36 Wintles Farmhouse and Brooks Cottage.
No.12 Myrtle House and attached outbuilding.
House. c.1730. Rendered over limestone rubble; hipped C20 tile roof; brick right end and rear lateral stacks. 2-unit plan. Early Georgian style. 3 storeys; 3-window range. C18 six-panelled door with overlight to right: set in plain raised architraves with carved brackets supporting dentilled pediment. 6-pane sashes; cornices over eared architraves with bracketed sills; similar shouldered architraves above are eared at base. Moulded wood cornice. C18 rear wing of similar materials.
INTERIOR: straight-flight stairs with turned balusters. Subsidiary features: outbuilding to right: colour-washed limestone rubble with gabled C20 tile roof; of 2 storeys with timber lintels over late C18 six-pane sash and plank doors to double-entry on right.
No.8 Rowan Cottage.
No.2 The White House.
No.25 Home Farmhouse and 21 [barn].
Nos 13 & 15 the Vicarage and attached outbuilding, wall, railings and gateway. This Grade II listed former vicarage, built around 1704, has been offices for several years. Vacant since 2010, listed building consent was granted for improvements in 2011 but no commercial tenant has been found. Planning applications (13/0746/P/FP and 13/0747/P/LB) have been submitted to divide the structure into seven one- and two-bed flats and build six one- and two-bed semi-detached and terraced houses in the rear garden. Text of the official listing follows:
Vicarage. C.1704, enlarged to rear and remodelled c.1810. Squared and coursed limestone; hipped stone slate roof. C20 tiles to rear range; brick rear lateral and ridge stacks.
PLAN: Central-staircase plan enlarged to double-depth plan in early C19.
Two storeys and basement; 5-window range. 2:1:2 fenestration with pedimented central porch breaking forward; early C19 stone steps with iron balustrades leading to 6-panelled door wit cast-iron brackets to flat hood. Keyed flat stone arches ove C18 two-light leaded basement windows, and early C19 six-pane sashes; moulded wood cornice. Early C19 rear range has similar arches over 6-pane sashes, and bracketed flat hood over basement door.
INTERIOR not inspected but likely to be of interest; has early C18 staircase.
Early C19 coach house and offices to right, altered for C20 garages. Early C19 screen to left (no longer in place), with short wall, railings and reset early C16 ogee-headed doorway with the arms of Abbot Miles Selby, Bishop of Llandaff, 1500-16.
No.5 The Hermitage.